5.21.2010




The Welcoming Sun.


As a lover of community I have been in search of a yoga class close to home, and one that I could connect with like the sun is to the earth. through word of mouth from various friends, I came into the shining light of Yonnus Becker’s yoga studio, Surya, just a couple blocks away from my house.
Surya means "Sun" in Sanskrit.  Her practice is very much enriched in true yogi beliefs and yet she has keen sense on the physical strength that one can achieve during this practice. Her vinyasa flow class engages your core yet her poses take shape with whimsical and graceful manner.  she has an alluring kindness and get to know presence that definitely speaks community. 

Get to know Yonnus with my Q&A and drop by her class! One thing you’ll notice is her presence alone is like the welcoming sun!


1). When did your quest for yoga begin?
My first experience with yoga began when I was attending UCLA. My girlfriend had a video of Bryan Kest. The classic video where he dons torn jeans and long hair. Neither one of us had done yoga before so she popped in the video and we literally almost died. I thought, what is this? Are these people crazy!!! Clearly, I was not yet ready for yoga to come into my life. Then three years later, I can’t say what inspired me,  I went to a Bikram Yoga class. I fell in love immediately. I was absolutely hooked. I went almost every day for a year. At that time in my life, my enjoyment of yoga from yoga came from the physical result of how my body felt. About a year later, I took myself to a Hatha class and that’s when my personal journey truly began.
2). Where did you study and who were your mentors? I studied predominately in New York. As my desire in life, as well as in my yoga practice, is to experience as much variety as possible, I try to practice with someone new whenever possible. As a result, my mentors comprise of all the different teachers with whom I have had the privilege to practice with. As teachers, we are constantly learning from one another. We become inspired by something and then we rework it into our own teaching style. With so many amazing teachers available, the inspiration is endless.
3). Are you a native of California, as well as Venice Local? I am a native of California. However, I have a spirit that loves life and the discoveries that come from new experiences so as a result, I have lived in quite a few places over my lifetime. As for Venice, I moved here at the beginning of 2009. Coming from New York, Venice is the only place that makes sense. It is one of the only places in the city that truly feels like a community. You can walk or bike to everything you need without having to get in your car and I love that.
4). How do you see yoga as a fundamental practice? For me, yoga is a fundamental practice because in our society we are pressured, rushed, and oftentimes struggle just to keep up. Our energies are being pulled outward. Yoga gives us the place to reconnect with ourselves so that we are able to return to the world and be more compassionate, patient and loving…. And truly isn’t that what it’s really all about?
5). How do you encourage folks to continue their practice, or do you just let them decided? I am not really into making people do things that they don’t feel motivated to do on their own. However, sometimes I wish I did. The only person I do that to is my best friend because every time I do, she is always so happy and joyfully expresses how great she feels and that she loves when I motivate her to get her butt into class.
6). In terms of Yoga style... Why were you most interested in vinyasa as opposed to ashtanga, kundalini.
I enjoy Vinyasa for several reasons. One of the main reasons is the graceful quality of Vinyasa yoga. As a  water sign, I am naturally drawn to fluidity and this flow of movement, this dance with ourselves feels like a natural and innate expression of our body. In addition, from a physical standpoint, Vinyasa is incredibly beneficial for the body because the constant movement does not allow us to become joint dependent. Instead we must use our muscles. In addition, the movement produces synovial fluid adding in the health of our joints and mobility.
7).  What does Surya Mean? Surya means "Sun" in Sanskrit. We have two energies within us, Surya (sun) and Chandra (moon). They represent our polarities. It is through yoga that we are able to balance these two energies of light and dark, masculine and feminine, heat and cold. Surya represents the shining of our inner light. Practicing yoga allows us to connect to our purpose and radiate from within.
8). What did you previously before becoming a yoga instructor? Before I became a yoga teacher I did just about everything under the sun. You could probably name a job and I have done it from working at Victoria’s Secret to pumping gas. I have my contractors license, teaching credential, license to sell insurance. There is a long list. However, my life is in a place where I am really ready to settle down and I have begun for the first time in my life begun to grow roots. Yoga is my life, my passion, my inspiration. Being a teacher holds an indescribable fulfillment for me. It is healing, connected and brings happiness into existence. I can’t imagine ever doing anything else. Although I do believe that I will be focusing more on retreats as this also feeds my gypsy blood and need for adventure.
9). Have you traveled to places like India where it is a common practice? I spent a month in India. What an incredible place! It is unlike anything you could ever imagine. Basically you have to forget everything you grew up knowing or have become accustom to because India is a different world. It is a magical terra and deeply, deeply spiritual. Just the air alone carries a knowing that is palpable.
10.)  Some teachers teach power yoga as a form of workout—  Is your practice based on a lifestyle and or spiritual connection
?
There are so many different forms of yoga and just like food proclivities, there are also many different tastes for yoga. All yoga is lifestyle and spiritually based. To the degree is based on the individual practitioner. I teach all levels. However, I tend to teach a slower paced vinyasa class as that is what resonates for me. I like to see people discover the gifts of being still within themselves. Each asana each breath carries a discovery, a new world, we just need to be present to receive it.
For Surya Class Schedules: http://www.studiosuryayoga.com







1 comment:

  1. wonderful interview! yonnus and studio surya are the best.

    ReplyDelete