9.14.2009


                 Happy Birthday to me...


Moving Soul
This journey took place twenty years ago. A young ingénue, who wore many hats as a fashion statement, discovered her journey was the along the path of the many lives she had once lived. She soon realized that each individual she came across was for a reason. Some to protect and nurture, others to inspire and still others to disappoint. The ones who shown her disappointment, shed light on the direction she was headed and in the end gave her a great and powerful knowledge. The ones who inspired were always fleeting, but remained close by, shared admirations and bore the resemblance of a true competitor seeking it’s own recognition. The ones who protected and nurtured were rewarded with abundance, and an insight to a moving soul.





Eleventh hour
Like each passing year, it’s a reflection of where I’ve been and what’s to come.  It has been a long haul from thirty-seven to thirty eight. Twists, turns and swirls of permanent emotional render. During the last week of thirty-seven, It was a pivotal truth that came alive at the eleventh hour.
I hopped in my car, thoughts circulating my inner redemption.  A wise soul who predicts the year for me, said it will be a very trying year “work as hard as you can” rewards will come later. Those words pretty much set the tone for my outlook this year and it was clear it was the doorway to abundance. My social antics were challenged and each month there was always something to buy, something to do, a ceremony or event to attend.  I have been down this road tempted by the act of fate and with the aspects of my personality I chose to have a different year, a conservative one.


Happy Birthday Baby
As Thirty-seven came to a close I spent the week working in San Francisco. My birthday usually falls on the holiday weekend and I was to be separated from my love that was enjoying his time at Burning Man. We are an inseparable couple and thrive being together. It was definitely a hearts challenge knowing I was going to be away from this person. But, for many reasons I chose work over play. I had been told earlier that it was that kind of year. In a few short days I gained momentum and scored big time. It was a good decision to work even though I knew to some degree I would be missing a shared life experience with my love. By giving up the cookie I felt I was bound to be rewarded with a hot fudge sundae. Family time was important as well and I made room to spend time with my cousin and his wife and children. It was pure nostalgia to have home cooked Filipino meals, reminiscent of my childhood.
As Sunday came rolling around I was engulfed with excitement to see my love. From that point on we were reunited during a romantic few days of  my waning thirty-seventh year, culminating with a bang, beginning my thirty-eighth year with an interlude of lyrical notes…. 


I heart San Francisco
 A glorious week by the bay, the calm cool air, a shining sun that sparkled on the city of many desires. I stayed at the Hotel Tomo in Japantown; it’s an affordable quaint hotel that is dolled up Harajuki girl style. It’s away from the bustle of union square, so if you drive into the city, stay there. Street parking is abundant and just around the corner is a short walk to pacific heights home to the fabulous Fillmore block of fun shops and yummy eateries. My day consisted of a Japanese style breakfast at Café Mum in the hotel followed by a stroll through Hayes Valley where we ate yummy confections at Miette Confiserie. I stopped in Duke and Duchess to find some super sales on fedoras, army green hipster pants and cute tees to rock my fall style. Later we had delicious burgers at Flippers which I am sure by the looks of it is either a locals hangout or a tourist relief. With our stomachs full we headed to MOMA to check out the Richard Avedon photography exhibit, I was expecting to see more but nonetheless it was great. We headed back to the hotel for a siesta just before dinner. Later, my love presented me with a beautifully handcrafted cuff by designer Miriam Haskell, http://www.miriamhaskell.com/. I had been eyeing her jewels a month before so the sentiment was touching and the most thoughtful gift of all.  For dinner, I chose a hidden gem of a place called Ramblas in the Mission District. Now you may have to walk through a relatively “seedy” block, as it very tough to find parking near the restaurant, but it is well worth the journey. The food was incredibly tasty and decadently rich in flavor. We started with a trio of Gazpachos, as savory as they were colorful. The Epic Mache and Grilled Figs was by far one of my favorite salads of all time, scrumptious and divine. Calabacitas and Empanadillas, a taste of home and for dessert. The Ramblas Sundae and Terrine de Turron. If you love desserts, chocolate and have a serious sweet tooth... you won’t be disappointed. http://www.ramblastapas.com


The next day we a cruised the coast to Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur.. A little hot tubing in our forest setting tree house, which was welcome diversion after a few days in the city. The quiet darkness of redwoods gave us a wonderfully calming vibe. In the morning we headed out for more coastal adventures, but first breakfast at Deetjen www.deetjens.com, a must pit stop for breaky. It’s a down home-style place—where everyone is super nice and unpretentious and the fare warms the belly as well as the soul.


There were many little pit stops on our way back to LA, scenic views, photo moments, and a little wine tasting in Paso Robles. As the sun was setting we were nearing LA and I could only think how blessed I was to have these special romantic moments with my love. It had been one of the best birthdays for many reasons and a start to what I know will be a superb year for me and those I am surrounded by.