4.30.2009

Secret Garden

Caroline Elizabeth has shared some of her Secret Garden tips. Here's what my favorite garden gal has to say....

There are some really simple and inexpensive ways to brighten and landscape your outdoor small spaces- even if you are a renter. We all deserve an outdoor sanctuary to call our own! I recently turned my neighbor's concrete and weed infested side yard into a paradise for their new puppy all for under $100.

After weeding and turning the soil I covered all of the dirt surfaces with sod instantly giving them more usable square footage for their dog to run around. The extra space made a huge difference, but I wanted more color! I found a few terracotta pots at a yard sale (two for a dollar) and used them to line the remaining concrete areas. After filling them with potting soil I planted an assortment of Color Spot gerbera daisies, petunias, and marigolds filling the yard with vibrant fushias, golds, and oranges. I used five six-packs of flowers; I can't think of another way $10 can bring a smile to your face all season long! By using pots I kept the flowers mobile to either rearrange later or to take with if they move. For a finishing touch I planted a few daffodil bulbs and added a few hooks and hung Chinese Lanterns to add color further up the fence at eye level. The high-pitched squeals of my neighbors as they returned from work to see their new dog peeing in their colorful yard for the first time was priceless.

It is definitely about now I am regretting not taking the "Before" photo... but here is a glimpse of the finished product.


Resources and References:

Sod: First remove all weeds and debris if needed. Then use a pitchfork or shovel to turn and separate the soil before adding fertilizer- a combination of blood and bone meal replenishes most soils. Sod can be found at most gardening centers without any pre-ordering. I paid $1.99 for five square feet at Home Depot and used $20.00 worth total. It is super easy to cut and fit into any yard space using simple pruning shears. After the sod is in place it is important to soak every day for the first week to foster root development.

Color Spot Flowers: These are annual (seasonal) flowers that come by the six pack. They are under $2.00 a pack at Home Depot. Look for plants with new buds to insure instant color. "Deadhead" the plant to direct energy to new growth by removing dead and withering flowers. Most do well in full sunlight.

Bulbs: These are planted in the winter or fall and sprout in the spring and summer. They are so worth the wait! I know people, okay me, who run outside every morning to see their bulbs' progress. I happen to believe that daffodils really do smile at you. For cut daffodils in your home, check out Trader Joe's. They currently have bunches for under $2.00. Just cut an inch off the bottoms and put in warm water; in the morning they will be open. Enjoy!


i am happy to give you additional submissions (using native, drought resistant plants; using "hardscape" vs. "livescape;" guerilla gardening...) or answer gardening questions if anyone has them as well :)

caroline@littlewoodhouse.com


Thanks to Accordion Girl and Caroline Elizabeth for contributing the last two weeks of my blog!

Next Week I am back on.. and sharing info on two non-profit organizations that really inspire me...